Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

In about seven years I will be 31 years old. Yesterday Melissa and I got the picture in the mail of the child we began sponsoring through World Vision. His name is Landani (8 years old) and he is from Swaziland. The average life span in Swaziland is 31 years. I can't fathom that. By comparison the average American lifespan is 78 years.

It is weird to think that places still exist where 48% of the people do not have access to clean water. It makes me sick to think of that. It really puts things in perspective for me considering I the things that I worry about; a career, house, car, etc. I can't help but think all of the things I aspire to and strive for are meaningless by comparison.

When Jesus asked me to care for widows and orphans I can't help but think he was not simply asking me to sponsor a child. So how should this play out in my life? There is so much more I should be doing. Each purchase I make, and even the decisions I make, should each be weighed against necessity or luxury. How can I afford to buy new clothes and go on vacations when little kids in other places don't even have access to water. I am not saying that I, or anyone else for that matter, should be completely legalistic and wear burlap, but we should be more careful about how we spend our time and money.

I don't know how this is going to play out in my life in the long run but it is good for me to have reminders (like the picture of Landani) that there is a world outside this utopian bubble that I live in. I often become so consumed in my own life and surroundings that I forget what really matters in this life. Pray for Landani. Pray for his single mother and their community in Swaziland. Check out World Vision for more information about how you can sponsor a
child today.

No comments: