Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best of 2009

I listen to a lot of music and subsequently purchase a lot as well. From Pandora in my classroom (mainly Explosions in the Sky and Manchester Orchestra) to music in my car and on my iPod when I bike and run, my life almost constantly has a soundtrack applied to it. As such, I decided to do my best to compile my favorite records and songs from 2009. The top 5 records could have really been placed in any order since they were all #1 at some point this year. However, after much debate with myself, this is what I came up with.

Here are my top 5 records of the year:

5. "Mean Everything to Nothing" by Manchester Orchestra
This record is amazing. I got to see them play twice this year (once with Fun and once with Brand New) and they were great both times. This could actually be higher on my list.

4. "Aim and Ignite" by Fun.
I got to see Fun play at Bottom of the Hill as an opening band and I loved them. I used to like the Format a lot so naturally this band appealed to me. This record is incredible.

3. "Forget and Not Slow Down" by Relient K
This album displays a real maturation by this band. They have long been a cheesy, guilty pleasure of mine but this time around they dropped the cheese and became a legitimately solid band. It's a sad, almost somber album (for them at least) that is reminiscent of Jack's Mannequin, Ben Folds and the Beach Boys at times. I love this record and will for a long time.

2. "Hell or High Water" by As Cities Burn
This album came out of nowhere for me as I had never heard of this band before this year. This ultimately is their final record (they broke up) and they went out on top in my opinion. I love love love this CD. It is a combo of Bright Eyes, Brand New and Manchester Orcherstra. The vocals are rough in an endearing sort of way. I have since purchased other records by them and I love them all. Check out a song called "The Widow" (not on this record). It's amazing!

1. "It's All Crazy, it's all false, it's all a dream, it's alright" by mewithoutYou
I will admit I am a bit biased toward this band. I knew I would like this album before it came out even if it sucked. Fortunately it didn't suck. The music is more refined, more funky and more epic than their previous releases (much more akin to "In a Sweater Poorly Knit"). Tate constantly asked us to play the song "Timothy Hay" (which he referred to as "Doo doo doo") whenever we were in the car. The record is great and memorable. I love it.

Honorable mention goes to the following albums, which also received heavy play in my ears in 2009.

Top 10 songs of 2009
1. "Pirate Blues" - As Cities Burn
2. "Timothy Hay" - mewithoutYou
3. "Be Calm" - Fun
4. "Forget and Not Slow Down" - Relient K
5. "The River" - Manchester Orchestra
6. "God Almighty, None Compares" - David Crowder*Band
7. "Gates" - As Cities Burn
8. "A Melody, A Memory" - Mae
9. "The Hospital" - And Then There Were None
10. "I and Love and You" - The Avett Brothers

Honorable mention...
"Not Sure" - Fiction Family
"Hands" - The Almost
"I Gotta Feeling" - Black Eyed Peas
" I Can Feel a Hot One" - Manchester Orchestra
"Made Too Pretty" - As Cities Burn
"Lady Blue" - As Cities Burn
"If this is the end" - Relient K
"The King Beetle on a Coconut Estate" - mewithoutYou
"In Exile" - Thrice
"The Weight" - Thrice
"Benson Hedges" - Fun
"All the Pretty Girls" - Fun

1 comment:

Muetteronomy said...

I enjoyed this. Thanks.