Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Paintballing, Pregnancy, and Picking Kids Off

On Saturday we had the middle schoolers out at our house for a rousing day of paintball, food, and festive fun. We had a ton of people out there and luckily not one got too hurt. There was definitely a few highlights of which I will now share.

Highlight 1: The kids played down in the creek in groups of 10 (5 on 5). Rob Calame and I set up various barricades in the water. The teams would start on opposite ends of the creek and make their ways toward one another, firing as they progressed, hoping to apply welts on the enemy combatants. I stood on the bank of the creek, up the hill a bit, and fired random shots at the kids down below. I hit one hit in the groin region, which made him a bit unhappy. When the round was over, he made his way to the exit point and began walking up the short hill out of the creek bed. As he made his way up he whined and complained about being shot and asked why I did it. Josh Perry was behind me and he told the kid (more like yelled at him) to shoot me. The kid was less than 3 feet away from me. He did. He shot me. Point blank. Straight up shot me. I was shocked. I told Josh to leave the area and asked the kid (in my angry voice) what he was thinking and told him that if he wanted to live, he would never ever ever do that again. He agreed and thus he is alive today.

Highlight #2: Nate Darnell showed up to helped barbecue. He also helped the teams with various combat strategies. Nate, an ex-Army Ranger, used rocks to diagram the course and showed the kids where they should hide, and the best attack points, in addition to each base's weaknesses. It was classic. He was getting in to it. The kids didn't exactly absorb his military insight. Most of the students ended up getting pretty banged up.

Middle school is going really well and it was cool to see that we had over 30 people (students and leaders) at yesterday's event. God has really blessed the ministry.

Mel is feeling well and she is starting to show a bit. It is weird to think that she is already 15 weeks along (last Friday). She really enjoyed picking kids off from the bank as they played in the creek. Looking all too innocent, she deviously shot the kids down below as they attempted to play. They had no idea where the shots were coming from. She was loving every minute of it. It was our baby's first paintball experience and I sure that he or she thought that it was magical.

4 comments:

Grubstreet said...

I have three things to say about this post.

1) I imagine that it would hurt very bad to be shot in the wiener with a paintball. If I were not vommiting from the pain, I too would shoot you at point blank range.

2) Should a pregnant woman be playing paintball?

3) I can't believe you were sitting at the top of the hill shooting the kids down below. You know, the Nazi's did that to the Jews. The Jews never knew what hit them. Have you not seen Schindler's list? Are you a Nazi?

Anonymous said...

I think you had better tell Mel to take it a little easier, she's carrying precious cargo, and teaching your new arrival how to shoot before it's born. Bad Idea. HA! Sounded fun but dangereous. EB

Megan said...

haha it looked like Mel was protecting the precious cargo, and apparently no one knew where she was. haha so glad things are going so well for the MSM

The Ton Face said...

I'm sure you have already thought of this, but I believe I have devised a wonderful name for your child. It seems fitting to post it on this blog since it is apparent that the young Bowen will be a great warrior of cunning, tact and skill:

Ram. I choose this name purely for the nickname implications, seeing as he/she already lives up to his/her name sake Rambo.