Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ok...I got to a computer. Now I will attempt to write down a brief summary of a week's worth of experiences, thoughts, and so much more. For starters, I arrived in Budapest (switched planes in London and Frankfurt) in the afternoon on Thursday, the 12th. I was picked up and taken 3 hours away to Debrecen, Hungary where I met up with Gary and Chris. I had about 20 minutes to take a much needed shower and brush my teeth. Oh the comforts of home! We then drove 3 hours to Ukraine, where we arrived at about 9 at night. We met up with Pastor Bodi and his team of youth leaders (Andy, Bala, Lucia-all Hungarian young adults) and headed to the dorms of a Christian school in Peterfalva, Ukraine where we would be staying for the next several nights.


The students at the school were amazing. We ate with them, hung out with them, and sang with them. Pastor Bodi was a guest speaker at their school for the weekend, talking about sex, purity, and relationships. It was a mini-conference for the students at the school. It's difficult to write all of the things that I have felt and experienced while I have been away, and I am not sure that I can really properly convey my thoughts on a blog (or any written format for that matter), but I will give you some of the highlights from my time in Ukraine. I will give a more detailed account, with more pictures, when I get home.


-The Ukrainian students loved to sing. Before each meal and throughout the day the students would sing various traditional and worship songs. They sang a lot of American worship songs (in Hungarian) so I borrowed a guitar and did and impromptu worship session. I felt like Deej. It was so cool to sing with the students and hear them sing in Hungarian. It is amazing how alike we are, regardless of where we come from. We have the same basic needs, desires, jokes, and hopes. I loved spending time with the students there.


I need to take off now but there will be more to come when I get more computer time!

3 comments:

lauren said...

the pig picture is gross.
and i had the same experience of worship in slovakia. they sang american worship songs in slovok. it was cool singing the same song to same God and the same time just in different languages.
and yes, it was fun knowing that you were only a country over.

Anonymous said...

hey Daniel it was great to hear your voice! great commentary and pics can't wait to hear everything and see many more photos.Melissa forwarded me the two photos of the little girls so precious! can't wait to see you! all my love, mom

Anonymous said...

Oh Man, that first picture reminds me of work!

Dan, it is great to read up on how your trip is going. I praise God for what he is doing in your heart and through your pressence there. I can't wait to hear all about your time there more in depth! Love you man