Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

It has been a good couple of days, talking to people about the trip, hearing about other trips that people took (Lauren to German/Slovakia, Charlie, Tim, & the VBC crew to Belize/Guatemala) and just hanging out with Mel. It is funny how after a trip like this, things that are ordinarily a big deal in my life, become less meaningful. Take baseball for example. I love baseball, the A's, and participating in fantasy baseball (by the way Jen, I am in first place now!), but the importance of such things become less and less when compared to the dire situations in the orphanages of Ukraine and the like. How can I be consumed by the ordinary things in my life when,, in other parts of the world people are struggling to survive. Not that I need to abstain from every bit of personal enjoyment, I just need to find a balance and I am working on that now. (Melissa and I look like we are Siamese Twins in the picture above!)

Speaking of baseball, I got to attend a baseball practice while I was in Hungary that was put on by a guy named Russ. Russ went with us to Ukraine (technically we went with him...he drove). He and his wife are from the States and they moved to Hungary a few years ago to do full time ministry. They even adopted a Hungarian girl last year and it was really great to hear about her and the process of adoption. (hint, hint). Russ works with a ministry call Good Sports International. They put together sports teams, camps, and practices, with the hope that kids (from street kids and orphans to kids from healthy families) will get exposed to athletics, team work, and ultimately, the Lord. I had a lot of fun playing baseball with the kids. I got to pitch for their batting practice and play ball with the kids. I had a blast. Baseball is a pretty new sport for them. I kind of felt like A-Rod playing with a T-Ball team. I was humbled when I tried playing soccer (football) with the kids there though. Even 5 year old orphan girls could work me. I am pathetic!

Most of you have heard a lot about the trip by now so I will not say a ton more. God is still helping me process all that we experienced there and we are now trying to figure out what the next step is. Emails have been sent out to people in Hungary and Ukraine to try to get the ball rolling on this orphanage idea. These are exciting times and it will be cool to see what God has in store.

1 comment:

Angela said...

haha you and melissa so look like siemese twins. so funny. i really enjoy reading your blogs about your trip.