Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Welcome Home Tate! + Baby Story Vol. 3

Shortly after Tate was born he began to have some breathing complications. He scored an 8 and 9 on the APGAR test, but began to grunt and breathe slowly. It was pretty nerveracking for me but seeing as though the nurses were not freaking out, I was able to be calm. I even got to cut the cord, which was pretty sweet. Tate had to be monitored over the next couple hours. They took him to the Intensive Care Nursery and I went with him. Melissa was sewn back up and sent to a new room for recovery. I stayed with Tate in the ICN until I knew he was stable. I then checked on Melissa and she said I could go meet everyone in the waiting room and announce Tate's arrival. I was nervous and excited as I made my way to the room where all of our excited friends and family waited in expectation. When I opened the door everyone screamed. The room was not very big and there was close to 30 of our closest kin packed in there. I announced the secret baby name and people oogled and ogggled (I'm not sure what that even means). Ann, who had guessed the secret name a couple weeks before, sat proudly at the proclamation of her grandson's title. My brother and Mandie evidentally thought that his name was Taten for the first hour or so until they saw how it was spelled. It was a lot of fun having everyone there and it made the day that much more special. The nurses allowed me to bring each of the new grandparents in to the ICN individually to visit Tate. Sadly, my mom declined the invitation. JUST KIDDING! All four of them fell instantly in love with the red faced little squirrel. His breathing steadily improved and he was able to see Melissa at 9:15pm. Until that point everything was a little bit too surreal and exhausting for me to become really taken aback by the emotion of the day's events. However, when Melissa was able to hold him for the first time I cried. It was a beautiful end to an trying/exciting day. She was on a lot of drugs and cannot completely recall all of the nights events. That's what I was there for. It was one of the best moments of my life.

Baby Story to be continued...

(Tate is home safe and sound by the way! I will continue to update you guys and will finish this story soon)
The moment I entered the waiting room.
The first time she got to see him (just after he got pulled out of her belly!).
Tired boys.

2 comments:

Megan said...

So excited for you guys! Tim told me he was on the way to see you on Tuesday. (And my mom said that she went and saw you guys, I think. Hope it was great)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I don't know you, and you don't know me, but I just HAD to congratulate you with the sweetest little baby I've seen in a good while! Just came across this blog as it (somehow) was linked to my dog-video on youtube. Not really sure how that happened, hehe..
Anyway, congratulations!!!