Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Baby Story continued...

After we decided to have the C-section it wasn't long until we were both in our scrubs and getting mentally prepared. We both were pretty sure from the beginning that Mel would more than likely have to have a C-section so when the decision was finally made it was kind of a relief. We called everyone and gave them the news and folks started to head to the hospital. Melissa was content and relieved to finally have a light at the end of the tunnel. At this point there were a bunch of people gathered in the waiting room. I went out to tell them what the doctor decided. Meanwhile, Melissa was carted off to the ER. I gave hugs to my parents and Mel's, took some pictures, said hi to everyone, and headed back in to our room to wait for the doctor's to summon me. It was really strange being in the room where Mel's bed once was. It was empty and surreal. I sat there and prayed for the baby and Melissa. It was scary and exciting all at once. The nurse came and told me it was time for me to go in to the ER. She looked very professional in her scrubs, whereas I looked like a freaked out kid in a cheap looking doctor's Halloween costume that was about 10 times too big for me. With my heart about to leap from chest, I took my last few steps as a childless man as I headed to the ER. I entered the room and Melissa was already on the operating table, minutes away from being a mom for real. The operation began right away. The doctors said that I looked like a Japanese tourist with all of the cameras that I had with me (2 to be exact). I actually filmed the whole procedure. It was surreal. Melissa felt a lot of pressure (both literal and metaphorical!), but no pain. She went in to the ER at approximately 6pm, surgery began around 6:16, and Tate Justice was born at 6:24pm. When the doctors pulled him from Melissa's uterus I couldn't really say a thing. He cried. I gulped. Melissa smiled. It was a cacophony of feelings, expressions, and emotions that have been duplicated many times since. I stared in disbelief as the doctors carried Tate to a table under some bright lights and said, "Dad, come see your son." Dad. Me. They called me "dad." Surreal.

To be continued...
Who does he look like?
Not November 17.
Peace.

*
Melissa, Tate, and I get to go home tomorrow! We are really excited. I haven't been able to upload my pictures yet so all of the pics that I have posted have either been from my brother or my cell phone. This week I will add a ton more pictures for your enjoyment!!!

*Thank you to everyone that has prayed for us, visited us (50+!!!), called us, texted us, gave us a gift, brought us food, or just checked in on us. Melissa and Tate are both doing very well. Mel does not look like she just had a baby. She looks gorgeous!

*We love you and will continue to post more about our experience here and about Tate's life!

5 comments:

Angela said...

this is soooo wonderful. and i can't believe you dressed up as a doctor.

Anonymous said...

good storytelling...i felt like i was there:P
as a matter of fact, the Lord just surprised me with a U.S trip in december-january! so, pray that He would provide "enough" so that I could add San Francisco to my list! I want to but I only have my international ticket so far. Anyhow, take care you all, Daddy:)

Christina Blake said...

thats sooooo exciting i want to see the baby!

X-tina said...

Aw..your family is so cute! I love the pictures.

Mary Madelynn said...

thanks for sharing your story, its so exciting. i can't wait to see you all come thanksgiving/the holidays. i hope you'll be around. i love you all!