Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Rocky Point: Where fun goes to die.

This weekend, Melissa and I went with the Quest and Table ministries (college and post-college) to Rollins Lake. It was so fun! There were 37 of us and we were camped out on a part of the lake called Rocky Point. It was given this name due to the treacherous rocks and ugly terrain that make up the campsites that we stayed in. This shadeless, poor excuse for a campground ended up serving us quite well. On Thursday, while setting up tents before the bulk on the group arrived, Nick and I made up various slogans for the trip, including- Rocky Point: What's the point?"; "Rocky Point: Fun has met its match!"; "Rocky Point: Do you still believe in God?"; "Rocky Point: Maybe the middle schoolers were right!"; and so many more. We were laughing hysterically as we made the slogans up. Luckily there was a cool beach a 10 minute swim away where we spent a bulk of our time. The beach had a small, shallow creek flowing through it that we played baseball in, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee. It was a great alternative to Rocky Point's craggy shores. Mel and I slept outside under the stars which is one of my favorite things to do. Moog and Nick spoke and Deej did the music. It was one of those weekends where I realized (not for the first time) how fortunate I am to have the network of friends that I have. That group of close to 40 people is like my extended family. I have had so many cool experiences with many of them that they feel like my brothers and sisters. Just being outdoors, worshiping God, alongside some of my favorite people is truly my favorite thing to do. Sure we were sleeping under power lines, and a rocky knoll with 3 electrical towers begging to give us cancer, but in those small moments on the trip I realized how loved I am and how fortunate Melissa and I are to be part of such an amazing community of Christ's followers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you guys! i'll try not to be too mopey about not being able to be there with you guys... i love our network, too and i'm super grateful that it extends all the way out to stupid colorado. have a happy 4th! love, nicolie

Anonymous said...

i enjoy your hat daniel...

davis

Anonymous said...

Sarah Donatelli says "Way to go"!! on the hat....Go Dodgers!!