Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Rocky Ninolato and the Panda Express

On Wednesday the Nino family hosted the MSM for an evening of Middle Eastern food, swimming, and trampolining. It was quite splendid. They even had a chocolate fountain. Jake did music for us and Gary spoke. It was pretty much big church-lite. We had a lot of fun. They had the trampoline set up right next to the pool so you could jump straight in. It was rather scary for someone as uncoordinated as myself. It was also frightening watching the middle schoolers helplessly flail their bodies into the pool below. Luckily I am an EMT (rusty as my skills may be).

Last night Tony, my brother, Lauren, and I went to see Rocky Votolato at Bottom of the Hill in the City. The concert started at 10 and had 2 other artists in addition to Rocky. The first band, Panda, was a group of barely-graduated high school students who played a brand of Franz Ferdinandesque nerd rock. It was a bizarre spectacle to watch the nerdy members "dance" and gyrate onstage in synchronized dorky unison. The next act was Langhorne Slim which was a pretty rad folk acoustic band. They are worth checking out. Rocky was amazing. He played until after 1am which was a bit rough but worth it. He is really really talented. My brother, Rocky Jr., got Rocky's guitar pick and hand-written set list after the show in addition to the beer bottle cap that Lauren grabbed for him after Mr. Votolato flung it in her direction. Justin wept.

Melissa and I have decided to go on the Mission Trip. We are flying to our favorite airport, Farmington, NM on Sunday. I am going to be leading the basketball camp (they don't know what's coming!) and Mel is in charge of the kid's clubs. We are both excited.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'm so excited for you guys to go to Arizona! Can you ask Mel to give the Clark's a hug for me please? Thanks!