Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Day Over 25 Years in the Making

Sunday was Father's Day. This day held special significance to me for a number of reasons. Number one: I got to spend time with my family which is always a treat. Number two: Sunday was my first Father's Day as an almost father. That has to be worth something. However, the number three reason of significance was by far, the most significant.
In 1980, Fuddruckers was established, Whole Foods was incorporated, the space shuttle was invented, and my dad began growing his mustache. All of these items are important and worthy of mention, however, in my household and in the homes of those I love, few inventions or landmarks hold a candle to my father's mustache. In fact, since my birth and the subsequent birth of my younger, olive-skinned, brother, a razor has never even skimmed the follicles secured north of my father's lip. He didn't want to shave it and, more importantly, my mom would not let him. All of this came to pass on Sunday.
The pressure came slowly. Gradually increasing in persistence and measure, my brother, my wife, and various friends and family, began encouraging my father to shave off the stash, insisting the time had come for a change. At first he was worried, cried even. Then, little by little, he began to break. I saw it first in his eyes. A little glimmer of hope. The chance to finally evade the Borat-impersonator persona. You could see a little thought bubble appear above his head each time he saw a razor, picturing a day without looking like a guy with one of those sunglasses/nose/mustache disguises on. He could have a fresh start, a younger, hipper, more dapper him. And then, all of a sudden, on the eve of his 5oth year on this planet (over half of which living with the mustache), he was ready for the shave. The documentary below depicts the monumental moment, and those leading up to it, in all its glory.

Mandie and Melissa giggled, cried, and screamed as he shaved it. It was like we were all sharing a sacred moment together. Justin and I are still adjusting to our new father. It feels like we don't even know him anymore. My mom wasn't too happy about the new look. She prefers her man to have a stash, but few can argue that the man looks a good (and I mean good) 10 years younger. His mom (my grandma) stood up, hooted, hollered, and clapped at her son's new look. She said, and I quote, "I have my son back." Oh the baggage that that facial hair carried. He said that he is going to keep it shaved until at least his 50th birthday, July 11th, at which point he will re-evaluate his new found self and decide what the future of his face will be. Let's hope he chooses well.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your Dad looks 10 years younger.

Anonymous said...

Boy does Mr. Bowen look great.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bowen you look so wonderful, and hope you make a WISE decision about the future, (rather to look like Borat or not. HA!) It will take some adjusting but you do look a lot younger. Your friend EB

Anonymous said...

i LOVE craig without the stache. he totally looks like justin. the video was hysterical, thanks so much for allowing all of us to share in this monumental and historic event. you should sell it to cnn, you could probably make an enough money to send your kids through college! love you, nicolie

Megan said...

Definitely agree with Nicolie, he looks so much like Justin, when he smiles mostly. haha But yes, thanks for sharing this video with us. And can I still get a copy of the Arizona dvd. I can just send you a check as it seems as if my mom wont' be seeing you. And Mel, can I send a package for the Clarks with you (if you go)?

lauren said...

this was so strange. he looks so different but it was fun to watch the video.

The Ton Face said...

Oh my... I cannot the believe the day has finally arrived! I must wipe the tears away as I'm writing this. I'm so happy for you and your family. Goodbye mustache, Budger, may you rest in peace! You shall not be missed.

moxleyfam said...

MY MOM THINKS HE LOOKS LIKE CLINT EASTWOOD! WATCH OUT!

gio said...

Few moments in life parallel the one I recently experienced as I observed Budger go round and round and round in that bathroom sink. Like a last minute shot at the buzzer just waiting for the ball to drop through the net I couldn't help but gasp like a child in the stands as that final follicle sunk to its demise. The only difference, my team had lost.

Proud? Of Craig, no. Of Budger, absolutely. Sad? More than you'll ever know.

Budger no doubt lived a long and healthy life, but with few grey hairs and little indication of future passing I couldn't handle to observe the Kevorkian-like massacre of an innocent victim. Budger was in no way ready to leave this life and join so many of his fallen brethren in the underworld of plumbing and bathroom sink water. He had at least another 27 years left in him, at least. That Mach 3 belongs behind bars.

I look forward to the day when a 5 o'clock shadow will grace Craig's smooth 12 year old boyish face. I look forward to the day when I can observe Craig and Budger II bury themselves in a punch bowl of Rice Krispies and milk. Until then, I'll remember the good times: Budger perched like a blue bird on Craig's upper lip as he whistles zippidy-doo-da, Budger saving a small morsel of a ham & cheese sandwhich - with Craig's appetite and well being in mind, Budger protecting Craig from UV rays and so many more...

I bid you farewell Budger. RIP

Quote of the day: "I feel so exposed!" - Craig

everydayVALENTINE said...

craig looks great...it does "shave off" 10 years. that is honestly one of the funniest things i have watched in a while...nice video dan. *laura*