Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

You can call me Dan now...

Yesterday was my last day of student teaching. It's bittersweet to say the least. Sure, they stole my cell phone number and said I was old, but I actually grew to like the little buggers. While I was pursuing firefighting I never felt at peace. When I got in to paramedic school and the academy I felt sick. When I finished my first semester at Chabot it wasn't bittersweet. It left me feeling a bit hopeless. I knew going in to this student teaching stint that it would either make or break my ambition to teach. I was super nervous in the beginning and couldn't wait to be done, but now that I am, I actually want to go back. That is how you should feel on the verge of a career. I am so thankful for my experience at Cal. I met some amazing kids and got to work with a great teacher. I had the students fill out an evaluation on me on the last day of class, assessing my strengths and weaknesses and writing a note to me. A common weakness was that I was not strict enough. Even the punks said that so I suppose there it something to it. However, the most prevalent strength was that I made the students look forward to English class. Several kids said that they used to hate English and now it is their favorite class. They said that I always came to class happy, never lost my cool, and made them laugh. I am not saying all of this to pat my own back. It is just satisfying to know that I accomplished what I set out to do - to create an environment where the students felt loved; an environment that was different than their other classes. Teenagers are exposed to so much crap these days. More so than I even knew going in to it and much more than when I was at Cal. High school can be a dark place and for those 4 months I tried to show the kids that you can be different. It was hard to leave them. One girl cried on my last day. One guy made me a funny card. Another girl made cupcakes and another made cookies. One girl even brought a Costco cake. It was really cool to know that I made an impact on these kids. Now it's time to get hired and considering the current job climate for teachers nothing is imminent. I trust God though and I know that he will place me in a job where I am needed most and that excites me.


My goodbye cake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to a friend who used to be a teacher, and was telling him about you. He said, "Mark my words there will be such a cry for teachers in the next few years, you won't believe it". All the baby boomers are retiring by the hundreds in the next couple of years. Their all in the retirement age now. So I'm sure God is going to place you right where He want's you to be. EB

Anonymous said...

that is so cool! teaching is cool. i love it too. though i only have experience with smaller groups and older individuals but there is something to seeing them enjoying the learning process and when they learn something and improve it is the most awesome feeling for a teacher. i'm truly glad for you! also, there is too few men teachers out there...sad...so go Mr. Bowen:)

Anonymous said...

Great message and great that you have peace about this career choice. Teaching is such a noble and meaningful profession. Truly, this Country needs more teachers like you. Those who have a heart for the Lord and a heart for kids; those who have values that are unwaivering; and those, like you, who have integrity that is inspiring.

While throughout your 25-years I have been in a position to teach you some things; I want you to know, you have been a great teacher to me as well. I have learned many things from you over the years and I am a better man for it.

Love ya, Dad

Jami said...

Hey Dan, This is your cousin, Nick's sister, Jami. I just wanted to say congratulations and how awesome that you're going to be/are a teacher! English was my favorite subject in school and my english teachers always had the most impact on me. I'm so happy for you and grateful there are still good people going into education- our kids need good influences and role models. Way to go!

lo jo said...

you would be a great teacher.