Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dia de los Madres

Mother's Day. Apparently this holiday originated in ancient Greece as a form of mother worship during the festival of the Greek god, Cybele. Never ones to ignore a holiday with pagan roots, our family gathered in the canyon for a festive barbecue ode to the women that brought us in to this world. I grilled chicken for a gaggle of folks that included my grandparents (Bowen's), Mel's grandparents, my Aunt Laureen and her fiance, my cousin Heather, the Conley's and my family (including Tate's soon-to-be Auntie Man-Bo). It was a lot of fun hanging out with the fam. Tate kept us entertained without doing anything particularly entertaining. He just sorta sits there and looks cute. My Aunt and cousin hadn't seen the little scrapper since Christmas. They were quite impressed by his growth (mainly head and belly). Mel and I are fortunate that both of our families get along so well, which is why we can combine holiday celebrations. Here is one of the items that I got Mel for her first Mother's Day because nothing says "you're a good mom" like a headlamp. Plus, she no longer will steal mine. School is winding down and summer is within sight. This is probably even more exciting for a teacher than for a student. Summer means more time with Tate, playing in the creek with Bauer, and burning our trash under the warm glow of a fading canyon sunset. Truly, the life.



Mother's Day & More

2 comments:

lo jo said...

las madres.

lauren said...

it sounds like your aunt laureens fiance is your cousin heather.

and that last picture is incredible.