Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

MSM & Parenthood

Last weekend I (along with 5 other leaders) took a group of MSM 8th graders to San Luis Obispo for their 8th grade trip. Middle schoolers are a special group and considering some of them occasionally read my blog I will leave it at that. Anyway, a highlight of the trip was probably the time when all of the guys were in an arts and crafts store trying on authentic medieval armor. I knew it wasn't a great idea to let the students try on the items (conveniently priced between $80-150 each) but my lesser instincts (kindness) prevailed and I caved. We took pictures, laughed, and pillaged and then I decided we should put the armor back before we break something. Student 1 (not the sharpest sword) bends over to take off his helmet and bumps in to the display stand behind him. If it was only one stand it wouldn't have been that bad. However, much like in dominoes, there were about 8 stands perfectly in line, each holding a ten pound metal helmet and like humpty dumpty each helmet came tumbling down. I could go on and on with the humpty dumpty parallels but I will refrain. Needless to say it was hilarious/humiliating. That was at the end of the trip. The trip was a lot of fun and taught me a lot about how I want to raise Tate, both for better and for worse. One final moment of enlightenment...Before leaving the church to head down to SLO, as usual, several parents hung around to see us off. This used to stress me out a bit. However, while they were waiting, carefully watching us load the vehicles and make final preparations, I had a strange epiphany. When Tate is in Middle School you better believe I will watch with the careful eye of a bomb technician as the zit-faced, college aged and young adult leaders prepare to haul my child, my beloved Tate, hundreds of miles from home. Not only that, I'll probably tag along to ensure his safety. I will now welcome whatever parents want to stick around and scrutinize the process of departure because I am empathetic to their cause. Crap...I'm becoming my father.
The group atop Madonna Mountain.

Here's the second episode on the MSM interview show, Getting to Know You.

4 comments:

Flo said...

Put and I will be joining you in staring down those future leaders as they pack up our precious (stinky) boys.

lo jo said...

love the face on the kid at top left in the group photo.

bradlide said...

i loled at that video. sweet.

Nikondriac said...

Took me a while to get that there were two different tapes! LOLed also! Miguel Chew