Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Best of 2009, volume 2

Best of 2009

TV

Most people think Battlestar Galactica is for nerds and I tend to agree with them. However, I joined this brotherhood of geekdom this summer and watched the entire series in 10 weeks. It is a series that is just as much about religion and politics as it is about space (actually more of the former than the latter can be found in the show). I watched some of it with Nate Darnell who was already a fan, but the legion of nerds grew as Tony and Travis also became believers in BSG. My wife, Justin and Mandie have recently become fans as well. The show ended in the Spring of 2009. It is amazing. Watch it!

Books
I had been told by many people to read this book. It wasn't until I had to teach it for my Lit through Film class (senior English) that I actually read it. I finished it in 3 nights. If you haven't read it before, stop reading this right now and go buy it or check it out at the library, quit your job, drop out of school and read it. I know I am about 4 years behind the curve on this one but I am so glad I read it before I saw the movie. It's amazing. I also enjoyed Blankets by Craig Thompson (a graphic novel), A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy among others.

Movies

I see a lot of movies and sort of justify it by saying I teach Video Production and Lit through Film. These are some of my favorite movies from this year (in no particular order).

(500) Days of Summer, Avatar, District 9, Adventureland, Star Trek, Up in the Air, Away We Go

4 comments:

Angela said...

I love Khaled Hosseini. If you enjoyed "Kit Runner" you should definitely read "A Thousand Splendid Suns." It is spectacular and incredibly sad. I had the opportunity to hear him in D.C. at the Migration Institute. Very genuine and humble man who has gone through a lot and has a lot of knowledge to share.

Muetteronomy said...

I agree with you on most counts, but have no knowledge of Battlestar Gallactica...and don't really plan to in the foreseeable future. The movies and books were right on. At least the ones I have seen. 500 Days of Summer is probably my favorite. I just rented Away We Go and am going to see Avatar today. But I don't doubt your judgement. Thanks for the list!

Dan said...

No prob. "Adventureland" was surprisingly good as well. Way more authentic than I thought it would be. I saw Sherlock last night and was pleasantly surprised as well. There are very few people I know who would not like Battlestar. Seriously. I will have to read A Thousand Splendid Suns when I finish No Country For Old Men (currently reading it and have not seen the movie).

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
thought this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Robin Toby
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/cat-in-the-hat-party-supplies.html]cat in the hat Party Supplies[/url].