Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Albums of the Decade (2000-2009)

10. "Keep No Score" - Sleeping At Last
I am someone who likes to listen to 1 or 2 songs on a CD on repeat. I pick my favorites and then stick with them. I just couldn't do it with this record. I love every song. I got this right before we (and by "we" I mean Mel) were prego with Tate and I was still want into it when he was on the way. So much of the CD (thematically) has to do with new life and it was very fitting for that season of life I was (and still am) in.

9. "Mute Math" - Mutemath
I saw these guys open for Mae and I was hooked. I had never heard of them before that night in 2006 and they blew me away. They are by far the best live band I have seen. This CD is great and it really captures what I love about this band- original rhythms and great melodies. I love this record.

8. "Like a Virgin Losing a Child" - Manchester Orchestra
This record has the potential to move up this list as the years go on. Every song is memorable. Andy Hull has a way of writing sad, thoughtful lyrics and he pumps out what seems like 1000 songs a year. I have seen these guys live a few times and I absolutely love them. Depressing at times, but somehow uplifting. This is an amazing album.

7. "Brother, Sister" mewithoutYou
I can't say enough about this bizarre band. I have seen them live a few times and they have several records that I love, but this is the one that got me into them. I saw one of their performances online from a Cornerstone festival and was enthralled. The closing track, "In a Sweater Poorly Knit," is one of my favorite songs. Their theology and way of life, though strange, is so intertwined with their sound and instrumentation that you can't help but love their uniquely idiosyncratic tunes. If being a gypsy is wrong, I don't want to be right.

6. "Bleed American" or "Futures" - Jimmy Eat World
I couldn't really pick here. "Bleed American" is the Jimmy album that I continually come back to but I have so many memories attached to "Futures." "Sweetness" and "The Middle" sucked me in and introduced me to "Clarity" (not trying for play on words here), but I think if I was held at gunpoint and asked to choose, I would ultimately pick "Futures." I got this record right before I went to Egypt and could not stop listening to it. It has a desperate, dark and unsettled feel that reflected the awkward time in America in which it was recorded and released (2001-2003).

5. "The Light of Things Hoped For" - Brave Saint Saturn
This Five Iron Frenzy side project ultimately trumped the latter band in terms of song quality and sincerity. This concept album reminds me of driving to Rocklin to visit Nick. I would start the record and let it play straight through (as I mention before, this is a feat for me). "Estrella" may be one of my favorite songs ever and this album is full of many more that are dear to me. A very nostalgic CD for me that I love to come back to.


4. "Deja Entendu" - Brand New
This one should earn me scene points or perhaps I will lose some for being cliche. This album preceded another great Brand New album (The Devil and God...) but I feel this has a lot more staying power. There are so many amazing songs on this record that bemoan the painful process of growing up. The quintessential emo album (ok, maybe my number one record would better fit that bill) and a must own for any Smiths-loving, pop-culture hating/loving, scenester, emo kid. From song one to the acoustic closer, this record is incredible.

3. "Suicide Medicine" - Rocky Votolato
I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to include "Makers" or this record at this spot in the list. Both records are amazing, but this one ultimately contains more songs that I love. I had the pleasure of hosting a house show for Rocky this summer and it was surreal hearing him play songs off this record with a group of my friends. Truly an underrated artist, this is one of my favorite records ever.

2. "The Everglow" - Mae
It was tough deciding between this record and Saves the Day for my number one of the decade, but I will explain that in a bit. I anticipated this record months in advance and was not disappointed in the slightest bit upon its release. I think I am a sucker for concept albums. I love the story and the artwork and the way each song blends seamlessly into the next. The piano and instrumentation is amazing. I have seen these guys a hundred times and have listened to this record at least twice that, and I never grow tired of it. I love this record.

1. "Stay What You Are" - Saves The Day
This record is my number one of the decade because it is and was so influential as to what I listen to today. Saves the Day was my segway out of the pop-punk world, into something more thoughtful, dark and melodic. Conley's lyrics were strange, uncomfortable and yet familiar. From beginning to end this record is full of songs that established a foundation, for better or worse, for the kind of music I listen to, write, and love today. Thanks Saves the Day!

Well, that's my list. This entry has taken me a few weeks to finish and here are a few more that could have easily made the cut into the top 10 depending on the mood I was in on a given day. They are in no specific order.

Honorable Mention:
"From Under the Cork Tree" - Fall Out Boy
"Makers" - Rocky Votolato
"Hot Fuss" - The Killers
'We Have Cause to Be Uneasy" - Wild Sweet Orange
"Oh, Gravity" - Switchfoot
"The Beautiful Letdown" - Switchfoot (this one should probably be in my top 10...woops!)
"Illinoise" - Sufjan Stevens
"Tell All Your Friends" - Taking Back Sunday
"Bullet" - Mat Kearney
"Give Up" - Postal Service
"Vheissu" - Thrice
"How to Start a Fire" - Further Seems Forever
"The End is Near" - Five Iron Frenzy
"Brushfire Fairytales" - Jack Johnson
"I'm Only a Man" - Emery
"A Collision" - David Crowder*Band
"Emotion is Dead"- The Juliana Theory
"Hell or High Water" - As Cities Burn
"Define the Great Line" - Underoath

1 comment:

Charlie said...

WHAT! NO POOR OLD LOU OR MXPX??!! proud of ya! that sounds condescending. not my intention. great list....