Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Grizzlies Can Be Shallow

I am in my third week of student teaching at (un-named high school) and though I haven't assumed full responsibility for any of the classes yet I have been able to observe much of what goes on in Mr. L's English classrooms. It has been an eye-opening experience. Since graduating high school I have worked almost non-stop as a leader in the high school and middle school ministries at VBC. I had good relationships with the students and I was generally well liked. I was sarcastic and wrestled with the guys. I was a punk and harassed the girls. Turns out things are a bit different as a teacher in public school. The students are the same age but the setting creates certain expectations that have been, and will continue to be, a source of constant adjustments and evaluation. My role is no longer to be the student's friend. My role is to be the teacher, which instantly turns some kids off. It's weird. My favorite part of the observation process has been listening to the not-so-quiet conversations that occur in the class. Here are some of my favorite quotes and situations thus far (female students):
#1.
Student A:
Where did you get that? (pointing to Student B's shirt)
Student B: Wal-Mart.
Student A: Wal-Mart?!?!?! Who shops at Wal-Mart? Do we even have a Wal-Mart around here? (Laughter ensues)
#2:
Student C: There's a new junior girl at school. Have you seen her?
Student D: No, what does she look like?
Student C: She has big ----s and a big face. She's kinda weird looking. She plays basketball.
Student D: Eww. Who do you think she'll hang out with?
Student C: I don't know. (Laughter)
Student D: How does she dress?
#3:
San Ramon Target store is pronounced Targe't (said with a French accent)
Dublin Target store referred to as "Targhetto."

Amazing.


I'll save you the rest of the details but needless to say high school can be pretty brutal.
The new campus.
Class of 2026.

4 comments:

lauren said...

the new campus is beautiful. but where the heck are the pie shaped class rooms with green shagg walls?
the conversations were pretty funny, it makes me miss being a sub.

Charlie said...

yikes. i hate high school.

X-tina said...

I can't believe Tate is going to be the class of 2026...crazy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan Tha Man:-)

I hear rumors about your youth group coming to Debrecen this March...any chance ur coming with them?? or how about the whole family?? Tate would love it here:-) (yeah, I'm just trying to cover the fact that I couldn't go to San Francisco:-() Anyways,greetings from this side of the world!