Feel free to browse, comment, peruse, laugh, cry & check out my latest movie reviews and musings.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Tate Missed His Dad This Weekend

Sleeping outdoors is one of my favorite things in life. Each time that I am away from home I look for an opportunity to do so. This weekend was no exception. We had our Winter Leadership Summit (for HSM & MSM leaders) at a 5500 sq. foot "cabin" at Northstar in Tahoe. It was a good little excursion but it was a bummer being away from Tate and Mel. Tate took my absence pretty hard from what I told. He told me he won't even talk to me until he's about 2, which is kind of a bummer. Back to sleeping outdoors...I decided that it would be a great idea to sleep on top of the snow-pack that had formed on the cabin's back deck. I enlisted several other sleeping comrades and we laid down a tarp and made our beds. It was all bad from there. I have a 0 degree sleeping bag and thought that I would be warm. I burrowed in to the powder and created a little den for myself. Much like meat laid on ice in a butcher shop, my back side and particularly, my buns, were rather cold. Ice cold. Turns out that tarps are not the best source of insulation. I ended up getting Chad's sleeping mat after he went back inside (upon being woken up by the chorus of coyote howls at 3:30am) and that kept me pretty warm. I even got comfortable for a bit. However, it began to snow at 6am. At that point, Tony, Rob, and I sought refuge by the fire in the quaint little cabin. It was a fun little adventure. I missed Mel and Tate a ton. Mel's weekend was spent playing Mario Kart, changing diapers and consumed large amounts of Orange Crush. I got home just before she drank herself in to oblivion.
En route to the incredible, magnificent, North Star Village - "the village that never sleeps."
Her guilty pleasure.
Just go to Domino's and ask for the Tate-size. That's was the Meng's did when we ate at their place last night.

3 comments:

X-tina said...

glad to see im back up there...

looks like y'all had a good weekend

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, that picture with the snow covered sleeping bags/almost corps:P this is a brave thing to so indeed:D good to see you guys enjoy life in its fullness! happy new year and maybe see you again this year. GB

Flo said...

Tate-sized pizza... hilarious.

We'd have to invite the neighborhood if we ordered a Sam-sized pizza.